They'll never even know...
[They'll never even know...]If this doesnt make you cry, nothing will.
I'm jumping on the 9/11 bandwagon.
Most people who are younger than about twelve probably have no recollection of the day that changed so many people's lives forever. They wont remember how many people died. They wont remember the Two Towers. They wont remember when New York didnt have a massive hole of rubble in the middle of it. They just dont know. If they're younger than six, they werent even born. They werent alive to experience it. They'll go on in life asking 'Mommy, what happened on September 11?' and get told a plane full of people crashed into the World Trade Centre. They'll ask what that is, and ask why. That's just the thing. WHY did it happened? Do you know? I dont. Will we ever know why that plane crashed into the building and killed hundreds -maybe even thousands- of people? I honestly dont know. I do know one thing. I remember where I was when it happened.
I was nine. My Mom woke me up in the middle of the night, at about 12 Midnight, and told me to come into the kitchen. I did, and saw my Dad and my Mother watching the TV. I heard people talking about planes and crashes. I didnt understand why my Mom was crying. Dad told me to watch. A hysterical news reporter babbled the message that clicked in my brain.
'A plane full of passengers has crashed into the World Trade Center. The death toll is high.' It hit me. A plane crashed into two buildings and killed people. People were dead. People would never see their families again. They were DEAD.
My mother was already on the phone to my Aunt, and they were crying. At first I was distracted by the exploding plane and crashing buildings to see she was crying, I was too busy watchong people run from the fog and smoke, dodging falling rubble as they ran to notice she was upset. I looked at her as she spoke. Sure, we didnt have any relatives that were dead or injured, but other people did. People we didnt know had just lost the people they loved. My dad spoke.
'Just think, how would you feel if that was you? If one of us had died?' I looked back to the TV, messages flashed along the scroller on the bottom of the screen, a woman was there, crying, saying her Husband was in the building, and that he was at the top. HE fell. HE crashed. HE was probably dead. She would have to go home and tell her kids their father wasnt coming home. I imagined if I was that kid being told MY dad wasnt coming home. I didnt cry, but I felt so sad for the people who lost someone.
At school that day, our teacher talked about it, and most people cried. Me, I still didnt cry. I couldnt. The teacher talked about how we were lucky yo be in a different country, and that we didnt have to be there to witness it. We didnt have to be injured, or even worse, killed. It made me mad to hear her being so selfish. So I told her. I repeated what my mom said in the car to school. I told her people had lost their loved ones, people had lost lives. People wouldnt come home that night. Kids would grow up without seeing a certain person ever again. When I finished, the teacher looked at me. She cried, and told me I was right. But as I finished, what my Mom told me made sense. People DID lose someone they loved. People DID die. Something big happened that day, and I would remember it forever. I sat there on the green carpet with my at-the-time friends and cried for all the people who died, and for the people who lost someone. I cried and prayed that something like this never happened again.
And I still remember it. I remember waking up in the middle of the night six years ago and seeing it happen. Seeing the buildings crash. People crying. people DIED. And I'm crying as I type, thinking of how some people never knew, and never will know what happened, they never really saw it like we did. And that video at the top basically sums it up for me. I'mma go and cry again.
Peace. <33>


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home